A SENSE OF PERSPECTIVE
In mid-November the results of the Plebiscite will be released to the Australian public who will have little idea of the issues which will swirl around a yes vote. The Government has been derelict in its duty by not informing citizens of problems experienced in other countries which have voted for marriage equality.
Below are details of Anglo-Saxon, principally Judaeo-Christian, nations who have acceded to 21st century Enlightenment:
- United Kingdom Pop. 67m, 93.5% heterosexual, 1.5% LGBT. (Office of National Statisics, 2013)
- Canada Pop. 35.4m, 97% heterosexual, 3% LGBT,
0.8% same-sex couples – 72,000. (Statistics Canada, 2017)
- New Zealand Pop. 4.7m, 85% heterosexual, 10 -15% LGBT,
1% same-sex couples. (Statistics NZ, 2013)
- Australia Pop. 23.6m, 97% heterosexual, 3% LGBT,
1% same-sex couples – 48,000. (ABS, 2015)
The relative trans-national support for the LGBT community far exceeds their number within a population. The long-standing Judeo-Christian culture may be an explanation with the guiding principle set down in Matthew 7 – 12: “Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.”
The rise of militant LGBT, has coincided with the devasting decline in Christian church attendance through the Anglo-Saxon world. Christianity is suffering from a rise of secularism and increasing exclusion of religion in public life. Thus, the verities that influence older Australians, are no longer relevant to younger generations. With the exception of South Africa and Taiwan, the Islamic world, Africa and Asia are not yet in the “fold”. Religious discipline, primitive taboo and large rural societies have slowed 21st century ‘enlightenment’.
Negative fallout from marriage equality legislation is now becoming alarmingly obvious in the United Kingdom and Canada. Based on this painful social history, it should have been obvious to the Australian parliament that proper debate and protective legislation should have preceded this uninformed and contentious vote on marriage equality.
Set down below, is a summary of festering national sores and much ill-will between the LGBT minority and those still holding to traditional family and faith-based principles. The overarching situation in the United Kingdom and Canada is the increasing pressure on religious institutions, voluntary aid agencies, schools and parents, to embrace and materially support marriage equality legislation. Employment security of independent-minded employees is being threatened. Below is a potpourri of evolving issues:
- 52% of Canadians complain the Government is supporting laws restricting freedom of expression.
(The Conservative, August 2017)
- Bill 89, Ontario – ’Supporting Children, Youth and Families’ . This legislates that “unless parents’ and foster parents’ attitude to gender expression, identity and sexual orientation outlook are acceptable, their right to bring up children will be reviewed”. (Blaze, 2017)
- Children will not be permitted to be raised under the umbrella of a parent’s faith.
- Bill 13, Ontario – Church leaders must accept the new orthodoxy of the 21st century.
- In Ontario Province, marriage commissioners can no longer decide who they can marry, pastoral letters of Clergy are vetted by Local Authorities and pressure is being applied to schools to embrace 21st century orthodoxy.
(Speak Up for Marriage, August, 2017)
- UNITED KINGDOM – a litany of evolving disruption.
- The Equalities Minister, Rt Hon Justine Greening, has announced ‘Churches must keep up with modern attitudes’.
- Religious parents may face interrogation if homosexuality is not accepted.
- The High Court recently ruled that a Pentecostal couple were considered ineligible as adoption parents since their attitude on sexual orientation was not appropriate despite their being good parents.
- Jews, Moslems and Sikhs are no longer considered fit to adopt children.
- There is a move to bypass medical consultation before a gender change – an official application will be sufficient.
- Court decisions now stipulate that business owners will be compelled to promote the LGBT cause, irrespective of personal conviction.
- Employees in Government Departments have been threatened with dismissal for suggesting there are better child outcomes with heterosexual parents.
- All 62,000 National Trust volunteers must now wear the same sex rainbow badge; those who resist are confined to the ‘back office’.
- Children three years and above must attend classes on ‘gender fluidity’.
- OFSTED – National School Regulatory Department – is codemning successful schools for inadequate promotion of homosexuality and gender orientation.
(The Spectator 7th September, 2017)
- In conclusion, the Bow Group Conservative Think Tank, London, has stated that ‘same-sex marriage was promoted by Government as a process of tolerance and equity – it has become a most unequal and intolerant “hydra”, the worst outcome of any political issue in recent history’.
- NEW ZEALAND
- Both the Minister for Education and the former Prime Minister have indicated that, after four years of marriage equality, nothing has changed and the process is working well for New Zealand.. (Buzz Feed News & skynews.com, September, 2017)
- Since New Zealand has a Bill of Rights, perhaps cultural and religious norms are protected. By contrast, in the United Kingdom and Canada, the rights of the majority are being trampled underfoot by the 2% minority.
THE CRACK OF DOOM
The Australian Government is incompetent and irresponsible by enforcing a Plebisicite without enacting legislation to protect civil and religious interests. It is certain many voters will have no concept of the ramifications of a YES vote and the problems that could eventuate because the Government has failed in its duty of care. Unfortunately, there will be no Heracles to slay this hydra so it is probable that the social disruption in Australia will mirror that of Canada and the United Kingdom.
The fundamental question is ‘Will marriage equality create a unified Australia – a nation-building ethos that strengthens the moral and social fabric of the Commonwealth?’
May the legislation, yet to be debated truly ‘Advance Australia’.
JOHN H HILL
Current Affairs Flashpoints